Wednesday, March 9, 2016

All Dead All Dead - Queen

Sweet and Soft Odes to Memories
When I was putting together this week’s line-up, I couldn’t really think of a well known slower songs, and so I began my listening binge. I found this, which avid Queen fans may know, but I had never heard the song, which is too bad because I think this song is quite beautiful. The piano and singing are the stars of the song. The piano chords and triplets are subtle and create a fantastic atmosphere. The feeling from the piano is one part sorrow and one part content, it an amazing blend with even a small bit of jazzy upbeat sound in there too. The distorted guitar and electronic piano parts in the bridge go great and build the song to its end. The singer is Brian May, the guitarist for Queen, often heard in back up parts of the other songs (exactly why the harmonies sound identical to the other songs played by Freddie). The harmonies are perfect and sound almost unreal. The bass and drums plays a small part in the song, but lay good foundation when the song picks up in certain parts. Lyrically the song is beautiful and the singing is so simple and sweet to the ears. The pauses in the “all dead...all dead” and in other parts shows again how silence is a way to best utilize sound, and how overhauling a song with effects and samples could have ruined this song (as is does others). I personally love this song for it’s natural feeling and sound that carries wonderfully, as if just being played right in front of me.
Originality:9
Instruments:8
Vocals:9
Longevity:9
Red Score:8.75


No comments:

Post a Comment