Friday, February 26, 2016

Bloodstream - Ed Sheeran

Acoustic Sound and Power In An Age of Electric Music
Radio’s favorite red head has given us a number of good songs, but in reality, I haven’t been much of the fan of his popular stuff. But this song, Bloodstream, really brings a strong amount of emotion into the album, and I wish this song was more popular. Building hums and guitar picking with a very simple drum beat start the song great. The guitar chords constant change keeps the song fresh through it all. The drums are simple and steady, nothing much to comment on there. And the tiny bits of piano or synth play well in the background. I love how the song feels like a live performance and there seems to be no real alterations or auto-tuning which is warmly welcome. But I really love his actual live performance because it is just so powerful and it is too bad that the original lacks such devotion. He has a great voice in both versions and the lyrics are interesting, but seem to lack cohesion or depth, but they are alright. I would recommend the live version over the actual recorded version, you can just feel so much more strength and talent from Ed. His back back up singers are great in both versions. I wish I could get a whole album of just Ed singing and him playing his guitar, so simple and so pure in sound. He is really shaping up to be a great artist, and I hope he keeps making music like this without delving too much into modern music tropes and gimmicks.
Originality:8
Instruments:7
Vocals:8
Longevity:6
Red Score:7.25


No comments:

Post a Comment