Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Bongo Bong - Manu Chao

Moving Through Sound At Smooth Slow Speeds
This may be one of my more odd songs I will review, but it really is quite the listen. The bounce and strum of different instruments giving small tidbits to make a full rhythm make for a dream scape of sound. I think the vast amount of instruments pulled together to make a relatively simple sound song is pretty impressive. I wouldn’t call this purely reggae, but it takes some of the elements from it and creates an interesting piece. Lyrically, it is fun, interesting and worthy of analyzing for deeper meaning, but I enjoy just hearing the words flow. The singer, Manu Chao, has a soothing tone that draws in it’s listeners. He isn’t anything special, but his voice is unique and uses it to his advantage. The female backup singer, which acts more like an echo, is identical, nothing special but well utilized in the song to make for a grand experience. The instruments are everywhere, in a good way, I’ve listened to countless times, at least five time consecutively for this review, and I’m still hearing small little words and instruments and harmonies. It really must have been quite the mixing challenge. Guitar off-beats, organ high and low pitches carrying the song, a long twang and mix of too many to count instruments make my head spin, but in a good way. I love bouncing my head to this song and just letting the simple soft percussion lead me along.

Originality: 8
Instruments: 8
Vocals: 7
Longevity: 7
Red Score: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment